Friday, May 11, 2007

Chelsea Michigan's Online Community

The Chelsea Standard announced this week that they have made improvements to their website. One of the new features is a weekly blog by columnists Ed Freundl and Sean Dalton. As anyone who knows me can tell you, I'm a huge advocate for Chelsea MI and our little "west of Ann Arbor" area, so I'm really looking forward to seeing the Standard's initiatives take root.

I've been promoting and improving Chelsea's online community for quite some time now. As the editor of the Things To Do In Chelsea website, you'd think I'd run out of things to tell people, but I still find myself bursting at the seams with information and commentary. Which is why I create this blog not too long ago. How much of it is interesting to people remains to be seen, but it certainly does open up the opportunity for discussions. Which is why blogs are so popular...and important.

What is fascinating about blogs is the way they can build a network of people, who might not otherwise connect. The content can be entertaining, useful, poignant, or educational ... and sometimes not so much. Many people don't realize what keeps blogging alive and growing, is the community it builds through cross-links. That is, those little clickable things in the side columns, and the links we add to the articles. People go off to discover interesting places, and (hopefully) bookmark or link back to your blog so they can come back later to find more stuff.

I hope that with the Chelsea Standard jumping on the bandwagon, that even more people in the Chelsea, Dexter and surrounding areas will be inspired to check out the many online resources and groups we have in our communities.

No comments: