Friday, June 15, 2007

Hometown spirit at the big race on Sunday

While getting my oil changed yesterday at Victory Lane in Chelsea, the guys proudly told me that they'll be "working the pit at the MIS this weekend". Having no idea what they were talking about, I smiled and nodded and said, "Oh really?"

A few minutes later, after my brain had deciphered this information, I was duly impressed. Then I had to chuckle to myself, realizing that my old minivan was getting worked on by the same professionals who'd be the pit crew for Mark Martin (#6) at the Michigan International Speedway on Sunday.

I am pretty much clueless when it comes to sports. Ask me, "Are you watching the game tonight?" Whether it's the Super Bowl, a Red Wings or Tigers game, the finals of something or other, inevitably my answer will be "What game?" So you might surprised to learn that I've actually been to a NASCAR race at the Michigan International Speedway. Admittedly, I didn't know what I was getting into when one of my perky friends said, "Hey! I got free tickets to the MIS this weekend, let's go!" Honestly, it wasn't until we were almost there that I clued in and asked, "Are we going to a car race?" My friend nearly peed her pants laughing at me. But once we were there, I had a lot of fun. The enthusiastic fans and high-strung excitement that goes on at a huge event like this is really infectious!

So, I wish our Victory Lane guys good luck at the race. Me and my 4-year old son may indeed look for you on TNT this Sunday afternoon.

To learn more:

No comments: