Thursday, June 21, 2007

Thoughts on Blogging

When I started this blog, people began asking, "What is a blog?" "How to do I start one?" "Will anyone read it?" If blogging appeals to you, I think the best thing you can do is start reading blogs. Pinpoint what you like, don't like, what inspires you, and find your own voice.

Every once in a while I find a great blog that inspires me to make mine better, and I always add it to my daily RSS Feeds. Other times I stumble on a blog that is so awful that I shake my head in dismay. This happened to me recently, and I won't go bad mouthing others, but it got me thinking, "What makes a bad blog?" In my opinion, there are 3 characteristics that make a bad blog

A bad blog....
  1. ... is poorly written. What constitutes bad writing is subject to opinion, but it's too bad when a blog with interesting content is unreadable because it is missing punctuation and is full of misspelled words. There are stylistic reasons to ignore conventional rules, of course. But I don't think some people realize that sloppy errors detract from their message.
  2. .... is not updated regularly. Whether "regularly" means every day or twice a month, your readers need to know what to expect. There is nothing worse than finding a blog article you like, and returning to the site day after day, just to find that it is still the same. It doesn't take long for your readers to give up and move on.
  3. ... does not have purpose. Probably the most important characteristic of a good blog is the content. Who are you talking to? Why should they care? My cousin started a blog related to her recently diagnosed medical condition. She throws in personal tidbits, but the main purpose is to share her story and connect with people who have similar ailments who might otherwise feel very isolated. Her blog may not appeal to the masses, but it definitely has a purpose. The worst reason to have a blog is because "everyone else is doing it" or because someone told you that you should.
Things To Blog In Chelsea?
My blog? Sometimes it seems that I am just talking to myself (hey, at least someone will listen!), and other times I am proud to be providing a personal perspective of Chelsea that friends, neighbors and visitors can relate to. My goal for all my Chelsea projects is to inspire people to get out there and participate in keeping our great little town going and growing.

Questions?
As always, feel free to post a comment or contact me if you want to learn more.

No comments: