Monday, September 10, 2007

Lions and Bulldogs and Wolverines... oh my!


My automated Google searches and RSS feeds help me keep up with news in Chelsea, Washtenaw County and the state of Michigan. This morning as I read news briefs from the last couple days, I marveled at how there were more articles on football than anything else. If the leaves changing colors and the start of school wasn't enough, I guess it really and truly is autumn now.

I love the enthusiasm in the community for our Chelsea Bulldogs. On game day Fridays, stores around town put up signs rooting for the home team and "Go Bulldogs!" can be seen in windows and front lawns. Not only that, but the community also raised a ton of money to build a new football field. The local newspaper is full to the brim with scores and photos. We know where to go if we want to read about the NFL or Big 10, but the Chelsea Standard does a really nice job highlighting our school sports teams. This is one of the things I love about living in a small town: that our school athletes are plastered all over the sports section of the paper.

Although I don't pay much attention to football scores, I can't deny the fact that my blood runs a bit maize and blue. How can I help it with my husband, brother, father and mother all having attended U of M? Of course if I know what is good for me, I don't mention the Wolverines to my husband this week. Maybe we should watch Lions football instead.

Come to think of it, maybe the Wolverines should play the Bulldogs next week.

No comments: