Friday, January 25, 2008

A night out at the Chelsea Bulldog's hockey game

As a small business owner in Chelsea, I do what I can to help support the community. One of my sponsorship opportunities came up a couple years ago when a friend, who had a hockey-player son, asked if my business would be interested in advertising in the Chelsea Varsity Hockey Program. The prices were reasonable, so I said "Sure." However, with the kids being so young and me being very much non-sports minded, it took until last Saturday to attend our first game.

I'll try not to sound too surprised when I report that we all had a really good time. Well, of course my husband and kids had a great time. They love anything that involves sports and snacks. But I too enjoyed the evening and found a bit of a sports fan in myself as I rooted for the Bulldogs (who won 4-2). Being newbies to the Arctic Coliseum, we inadvertently sat in the wrong section, and it was slightly confusing to the kids when the Ann Arbor Pioneer parents sitting behind us were cheering for their own team. But it was all in good fun when I whispered to the kids that we didn't want to cheer when the *other* team got a goal.

I also learned that the Arctic Coliseum has a mini video arcade. And yes, I'm probably the only person in Chelsea who didn't know this, but I confess I have only ice skated once in my life -- and my little brother had to hold me up for dear life. But it's good to know since I'm a probably more of a video game fan than a sports fan.

Upcoming Games
The Chelsea Varsity Hockey games generally start at 6:30 or 7:00, with three 15 minute periods. For families with young kids, it's just the right amount of time to enjoy the game, get some snacks from the concession stand, and be home by bedtime. For those who actually have a social life, you'll still have plenty of time afterwards for a movie, a date, or drinks with friends.

If you want to catch a game before the end of the season, you'll have to be quick, because there are only a few more home games.
  • Saturday, Jan. 26 - Bulldogs vs. Plymouth Salem @ 7:00
  • Wednesday, Jan 30 - Bulldogs vs. Huron @ 6:30
  • Saturday, Feb 2 - Bulldogs vs. Kearsley @ 7:00
  • Saturday, Feb 9 -Bulldogs vs. Lincoln @ 7:00
Related Link
To see some great photos of Chelsea Varsity Hockey and other local sports, check out the blog of local photographer, Burrill Strong.

And the sponsorship ad?
Oh, and since it fits in well with the topic at hand...


2 comments:

Sgt. Wolverine said...

If you (or anyone!) comes to one of the home hockey games, find me and say hi! I'll be the guy with the camera and the long goatee (which, sadly, doesn't really help me take better pictures), and I'm often in one of the corners (or in the penalty box, but not because I cross-checked anyone). I'm at most of the home games.

Since I missed the chance to meet you at the soup swap (if only I had been punctual that day!), I hope to see you at one of the hockey games.

Oh, and big thanks for the link.

Leslie said...

Any time! You do great work.

Actually when we were at last week's game, I did see a photographer busy at work and I briefly wondered if that was you! We were hoping to go to tomorrow's game, but alas we have a sickie in the family.