My minivan gets approximately 20 miles per gallon. For the sake of easy math, estimate that Ann Arbor is 20 miles away from Chelsea, and gas is $4.00 per gallon. That means I'll use 1 gallon of gas to get to Briarwood Mall (see Google map for the route) and the roundtrip cost is 2 gallons x $4 per gallon = $8. In other words, 20 cents per mile.
That is good incentive to shop, eat and play locally before driving to Ann Arbor, Jackson or Brighton. Either that, or be sure that your savings add up to more than the cost of gas.
How to Save Your Gas Money
For those of you who are commuting for work, school, recreation or shopping, here are some calculations for you: *Calculations based on my numbers above: $4 per gallon of gas, 20 miles to A2, average 20 mpg
- Five days a week commute: Commute to work 5 days a week and gas will cost you $40 a week, or $160 a month. Perhaps that Chelsea-Ann Arbor commuter bus at $125 per month is looking more tempting!
- Share a ride / work from home ONE day each week: $128 per month (save $32 each month or $384 a year)
- Share a ride / work from home TWO days each week: $96 per month (save $64 each month or $768 a year)
- Commute 5 days a week, but drive a more fuel efficient car: If you drive a car that gets 30 mpg instead of 20 mpg, your gas cost will be 13 cents per mile, or $104 per month. (save $56 per month, or $672 per year)
- Drive a more fuel efficient car, when possible. (Instead of the minivan, we can take the other car, which gets 30 mpg)
- Turn down the A/C (not a problem during our cool weather this month!)
- Drive the speed limit (saves on those speeding tickets, too!)
- Keep your car tuned up and tires inflated to the correct level
- Minimize idling your car. Turn off the car while you wait in line, or better yet, park and go in.
Think again! You may be driving away the savings, unless the cheaper gas station is already on your route. For example, it makes sense for my husband to fill up at a gas station on Baker Rd. because he has to drive that way to go to his office. If I do that solely for the purpose of getting gas, it is actually *costing* me money. Do your own calculations at ComputeGasSavings.com
- Local Gas Prices for Chelsea, Michigan
- Top 10 Ways to Improve Your Truck or SUV's Gas Mileage
- 11 Car Care Tips That Save Gas
- Tips to Save Gas and Improve Mileage (PDF file, from epa.gov website)
- How To Save Money on Gas
- Tips to Improve Your Gas Mileage
On the plus side, I'm getting more exercise because I'm taking my bike everywhere!